If you love cakey, fluffy, delicious sugar cookies as much as I do, then I’ve found the perfect recipe for you! I am picky when it comes to my sugar cookies, and I’m a sucker for those frosted cakey ones you get in the deli section of the grocery store. These are as close to those as I’ve gotten, and as always, they are gluten free!
Best Damn Sugar Cookies
- 2 2/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used GF, and I’ve found that if you actually buy one that is specifically “all-purpose” they turn out much better)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup margarine, softened to room temperature (I’ve tried it with butter, and they just weren’t nearly as fluffy, and too dense! Also super important that it’s room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Place teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet, or use foil/parchment paper for easy clean up!
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Let stand on cookie sheet for two minutes before removing to cooling racks. Let cool completely before frosting/decorating.